There have been libraries in Colehill for nearly 100 years; the first was opened in the Parish Hall in 1913, and founded by Henrietta Vaughan Williams (niece to the composer), then organist at St. Michael’s Church.
The present Colehill Library opened as a branch library of the Dorset County Council Library Service in February 1974. It began with a selection of 5000 books, including selections for children and large-print volumes for the partially sighted.
It has proved to be a well used and popular community resource, producing issues over 40,000 per annum in 2010/11. Since 2001 the consistent hard work and determination of The Friends of Colehill Library ensured that the library would remain open and run by volunteers.
With the support of Colehill Parish Council and the Dorset Library Service, the library opened as COLEHILL COMMUNITY LIBRARY on 8th January 2013. On 4th April 2014 the ‘Friends’ (FoCoL) merged with Colehill Community Library Ltd.; the ‘Friends’ activities with fundraising continue, and supporters can now join Colehill Community Library Ltd. as members. The Library is a limited company with charity status.
AGM 2014 – John Gooch was re-elected as Chairman. 2016 AGM is on 20th August.
7th June 2016 – Dorset has joined the ‘LibrariesWest’ group www.librarieswest.org.uk
We are run entirely by a substantial and committed team of volunteers who support the Library in a variety of ways. Approximately 40 volunteers man the library during opening hours over the course of a fortnight.Others are involved with general maintenance and cleaning of the building, gardening and ground maintenance, fund raising, Rhyme time and the Jigsaw Library.
The following documents have been produced by Colehill Community Library: